Sunday, January 27, 2008

In which we learn it's still January

Greetings. All is finally getting back to normal here in Orangeland. Many things have happened since November, so I'll just hit the highlights.

A local pharmacy dispensed the incorrect medications needed for surgery, and as a result, the patient ended up in the emergency room, passed out and drooling, from a mega dose of an anti-psychotic drug. That's right. It's been a while, but antibiotics, last I checked with the doctor, were actually the proper medications needed.

That caused a one-week delay in surgery. That does seem far in the past now that the patient's return to work is approaching. Still, I wonder how he will do on the commute to the office. It is one thing to be up at home and stir crazy. It's another to be upright early in the am with many crazy people stirring about. Keep your fingers crossed.

I've just returned from at trip to Columbus, Ohio because conferences are cheap there in the winter. I saw a total of 10 people on the street in downtown Columbus, and found out there is NOT ONE chinese restaurant that delivers in the downtown area. (And I have experience with limited delivery - early in our Baltimore years we lived in a neighborhood so sketchy the pizza place would only stop the car if they could see us waiting in the vestibule. They wouldn't get out of the car unless we were already there...)

Sometimes hotel food is just not what you want after a day of being ill on a business trip, in a strange bed, away from family and familiar...all I wanted was the $1.75 pint of wonton soup (and just the broth, mind you - no wontons). It was not to be. The "At your service" person suggested taking a $20 cab ride, round trip. Not for a pint of soup. No thank you.

On the upside, before my untimely illness, I did have time to walk to Grant Street, where the very lovely Columbus Metropolitan Library exists. The stone benches in the front say it all "Our Treasures Are Within". What a beautiful building - and so user friendly it's almost scary. I'm still out on my favorite part - self-serve checkout with a receipt like you get at costco, or the fabulous exhibit on the creation of the library - complete with a western union note from andrew carnegie authorizing the building of the library. Oh, and the tile work when you walk is is pretty spiffy as well. Every hotel in downtown would do well to acquaint themselves with this attraction instead of (or in addition to)sending people to the regular places like Short North and the german district.

Back on the home front everyone seemed to survive. The kid remembered to write his VIP note to the designated child, and they managed to eat more than frozen pizza. I don't ask for more detail when I return because unless there is a note from a teacher, the police or church, everyone has survived another day.

1 comment:

Caroline Bender said...

Happy New Year! Public Libraries are one arena where I DO know my way around. I congratulate you on letting your co-parent parent to his own style, even if the details of it would make you crazy. Men must have their mantime. (and they probably ate a lot of chinese, too). Love to all