Friday, November 14, 2008



One of the highlights of trying to be organized is remembering to cut to the chase.

Why waste time microwaving precooked bacon when you can just pop the precooked refrigerated bacon on top of the frozen waffles, and toast it. A one toaster meal - sort of. A hot breakfast in the morning. And food police, if you are reading this, it's totally cooked.

So the day presented itself and I needed a photo of the kid and the dog. In a particular pose, with particular props. On any other day I would lovingly set the stage, get the kid and the dog together, and have fun. In the 7 minute morning, I had to make every second count.

I went upstairs to the bookshelf and found a bright and sturdy picture book. I went to the kitchen and got the cold cuts - ham - and then went to my wallet, where I got out two bucks. I now had all the important props, and two participants following me to see what was going to happen. The element of surprise was totally on my side.

No time to waste - the late bell always rings at the same time. I told the boy if he wanted to work for the cash he had to sit on the floor. I told the dog the same thing, except she worked for ham. Once the boy mastered the trick of hiding the ham (see I am smart - it's closer to flesh color than the turkey pepperoni) the dog willingly looked over his shoulder. And once the dog was in position the boy made it his business to earn the cash.

Minutes later the photo was good, the dog was fed and the kid was adding up his pay and plotting his next purchase. Mission accomplished in record time.

The week was off to a good start.




1 comment:

Caroline Bender said...

BRILLIANT!
I can't wait to see this on the cover of the annual report.