Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Notes you don't really want to see come home...

From: School District
To: Family

One case of lice has been detected in your child's class. The child has been checked by the nurse and is no longer a carrier. Blah Blah lice Blah Blah nits Blah Blah Blah lice Blah Blah Blah.

As for timing, the NY Times article published that day describes a lovely salon, NitPixies - where for hundreds of dollars they will solve your problem. I was set to call until I realized - we don't have them - and the salon is on the West Coast.

So far the red head has remained safe. Each time I read the word lice I want to itch. And each time I itch I try harder not to -- and we all know how well that strategy works... not.

The backpack brings many things home. Many things to praise, file, ooh and ahh over, and toss. I didn't realize it might come with the potential to bring living creatures home.

Not the sweet frog-like kind, but the nasty kind. In my short career as mom I have washed and dried a worm-in-a-pocket (the worm didn't live, the boy cried), rescued crickets from jars without holes, and put a stop to bathtime with the dog - boy and dog, bubbles and water, all at once.

No lice so far. And no more notes. But I bought the RidX just in case - and am hoping that having it in the cabinet is just one more thing to clutter up the house.

2 comments:

Caroline Bender said...

Dude! Your blog fell, and it can't get up. where is the rest of the story, Paul Harvey? One more sentence, and I'll have another obscure cultural reference. Say, this really happened in a former workplace: Boss brought the Daughter to work because School wouldn't let her in. Since the lice. Nice.

Orange is our family color said...

blog all better. no great line. no great lice.