Thursday, March 20, 2008

Twist it a little bit...

My favorite time of day with the boy is just after he's been tucked in by his dad. I get a request to come in. It's the sweet time - I lay my head on his pillow and we talk or daydream, or as in last night's episode, we discuss loose teeth.

One tooth in particular. The first of the upper fronts. It's hanging by a bit more than a thread, and his father has already declined the very polite "would you pull it out for me?" plea. I tried the "sleep on it and we'll see what breakfast does to the tooth". In my mind I am praying that he doesn't choke on it overnight and that a waffle will do the trick.

Then, we get one of those sweet moments.

Him: (softly) will you forget me?
Me: Never.
Him: In a day?
Me: Nope.
Him: In a week?
Me: Nope.
Him: will you forget me in a year?
Me: Not even in the year after. (And now I'm all gooey)
Him: (takes a breath)
Me: (takes a breath)
Him: Knock Knock
Me: (puzzled over the transition) Who's there?
Him: (fake shock) You forgot me already!

Set up by a six-year old. But he really did make me laugh!

No comments: